Subscribe here to hear about new dates when they're added
Sat & Sun: 10am – 5pm
Location: Henri Studio, 272 Hackney Road, London, E2 7SJ
Level: Experience in simple sewing required
Trouser pattern available in sizes XS - L, female cut only
Over the course of two days we will work through the step-by-step process of making a pair of trousers. This will cover basics of sewing you might already be familiar with along with more advanced construction techniques. At the end of the two days you will have a fully finished pair of trousers, your own pattern to take home and the knowledge and the skills to repeat it on your own.
What will be covered:
- How to trace a pattern and make small fit amendments on the waist and hips where necessary
- Preparation and cutting of fabric
- A step by step construction guide
- Methodical approach to steaming and pressing
- Run & fell seaming
- Fly construction with button fastening
What will be provided:
- A Henri pattern in size XS, S, M or L. You will trace this and take a copy home with you
- Domestic sewing machine and all tools
- Printed out step by step guide
- Morning coffee & pastries and afternoon tea & cake
What you’ll need to bring:
- Fabric of your choice – we recommend 2.5 metres which is pre-washed at 40 degrees and ironed. You want to go for something mid-heavy weight, non-stretch and with a solid structure.
- Scrap fabric for pocket bags. If you don't have this we have spare in the studio.
- Thread colour of your choice (a large spool or two small ones). Matching thread your thread colour to fabric is advised for less experienced sewers.
- 4 buttons about 2cm in diameter. If you're struggling to find buttons we will provide back ups.
- Lunch (there are shops and cafes are close by)
Henrietta’s Classic Shirt workshop was my dream weekend! I never thought I would be able to make something as complicated as a shirt as I’d never made an item of clothing before, but she was such a helpful and patient teacher which made it feel accessible and fun. Since the workshop I have made another shirt with the pattern she gave us and even tried a few new patterns out - I feel so proud of what she helped me achieve and cannot recommend her courses highly enough.
I thoroughly enjoyed the shirt course and had not made one before. I found it challenging in a positive way because I was learning new techniques. Henrietta explained things really well and her emphasis on perfecting the finer details and overall importance on the presentation of every section of the garment was great. I loved the whole experience.
I absolutely loved the Classic Shirt class and I learned so much. Henrietta is truly an excellent teacher - so clear in her explanations and so patient! I thought the class was wonderful.
I really enjoyed the classic shirt class. I have done many courses and this was one of my favourites and the one that had the most influence on my sewing. I immediately made two more shirts, for my son, and I have just cut out another for myself which I would not have had the confidence to do before. Henrietta’s class imparted the importance of millimetre precision in professional looking collars and cuffs.
Henrietta trained at the London College of Fashion and graduated with a First Class Honours in Fashion Design & Development. With a particular interested in the technical side of design she specialised in pattern cutting and worked for established London designers as an intern and later a freelance pattern cutter. She launched Henri in 2016 to channel her passion for timeless design and focussed specifically on that elusive garment – the perfect women’s shirt. Having designed and pattern cut her range for the past three years she is experienced in the art of shirt making and refining details that turn an ordinary garment into a thing of beauty.
Depending on the number of bookings we reserve the right to reschedule workshops.
These workshops are non-refundable & non-exchangeable so please double check you can definitely make it or be able to fill with a friend.