Saturday, 10am – 5.30pm
Location: Henri Studio, 272 Hackney Road, London, E2 7SJ
Level: Experience in simple sewing required
Shirt patterns available in sizes XS - L in both male and female cuts
Shirt making is a wonderful and precise art form which I have fallen in love with over the past few years. Through steady guidance and demonstration I’ll be sharing industry standard methods along with techniques I have personally developed to make my shirt making workshops as accessible and enjoyable as possible.
Over the course of the workshop we will work through the step-by-step process of making a traditional women’s shirt. This will cover basics of sewing you might already be familiar with to more advanced construction techniques. At the end of the day you will have a fully finished shirt, your own shirt pattern to take home and the knowledge and the skills to repeat it on your own.
What will be covered:
- How to trace a pattern and make small fit amendments where necessary
- Preparation and cutting of fabric
- A step by step construction guide
- Methodical approach to steaming and pressing
- French seams & binding
- Detailed shirt-making techniques
- Refined hemming methods
What will be provided:
- A Henri shirt pattern in size XS, S, M or L. You will trace this and take a copy home with you
- Domestic sewing machine and all tools
- Henri notebook to write your sewing notes
- Printed out step by step guide
- Morning coffee & pastries and afternoon tea & cake
What you’ll need to bring:
- Fabric of your choice – we recommend 1.5 metres which is pre-washed at 40 degrees and ironed. You want to go for something mid-light weight, non-stretch and with a solid structure. I recommend 100% organic cotton poplin, twill or denim, available from Raystitch, Islington.
- Thread colour of your choice (a large spool or two small ones)
- 5 buttons
- Lunch (there are shops and cafes are close by)
Henrietta’s Classic Shirt workshop was my dream weekend! I never thought I would be able to make something as complicated as a shirt as I’d never made an item of clothing before, but she was such a helpful and patient teacher which made it feel accessible and fun. Since the workshop I have made another shirt with the pattern she gave us and even tried a few new patterns out - I feel so proud of what she helped me achieve and cannot recommend her courses highly enough.
I thoroughly enjoyed the shirt course and had not made one before. I found it challenging in a positive way because I was learning new techniques. Henrietta explained things really well and her emphasis on perfecting the finer details and overall importance on the presentation of every section of the garment was great. I loved the whole experience.
I absolutely loved the Classic Shirt class and I learned so much. Henrietta is truly an excellent teacher - so clear in her explanations and so patient! I thought the class was wonderful.
I really enjoyed the classic shirt class. I have done many courses and this was one of my favourites and the one that had the most influence on my sewing. I immediately made two more shirts, for my son, and I have just cut out another for myself which I would not have had the confidence to do before. Henrietta’s class imparted the importance of millimetre precision in professional looking collars and cuffs.
Henrietta trained at the London College of Fashion and graduated with a First Class Honours in Fashion Design & Development. With a particular interested in the technical side of design she specialised in pattern cutting and worked for established London designers as an intern and later a freelance pattern cutter. She launched Henri in 2016 to channel her passion for timeless design and focussed specifically on that elusive garment – the perfect women’s shirt. Having designed and pattern cut her range for the past three years she is experienced in the art of shirt making and refining details that turn an ordinary garment into a thing of beauty.
Depending on the number of bookings we reserve the right to reschedule workshops.
These workshops are non-refundable & non-exchangeable so please double check you can definitely make it or be able to fill with a friend.